French has become one of the most commonly spoken languages in the world. It has taken second place to the English Language in commercial transactions as well as day to day communication.
Hillside Teachers’ College is the only college in Zimbabwe that trains French teachers. The department recruits both O’ Level and A’ Level students who have done French up to these levels.
- The first group undergoes a three-year programme
- The second one does a two-year programme like the rest of the college students.
Stated below are some of the reasons to learn French:
- It is used for communication purposes as there are more than 650 million people who speak the language.
- It is one of the key languages in the Diplomatic field and in the tourism industry.
- It opens up a wide range of job opportunities, i.e. teaching, lecturing, tourist guide, marketing, translators.
- It is fun to learn.
WHAT THE TRAINEE FRENCH TEACHERS LEARN.
- The philosophy of the language
- French language structure
- French language use and usage
- French etiquette.
- Methods of learning French
- Methods of teaching French
RESOURCES TO AID FRENCH MASTERY FOR TRAINEES
- Audio tapes
- Audio CDs/DVDs
- Trips to French speaking countries
- Benefitting from interaction with Alliance Francaise.
- Internet access to French lessons